"It has been said that God opens doors. He certainly opened the doors at St. Paul Lutheran Church on April 25, 1954, when services were held for the first time at Lexington in the school's gymnasium.
Arline Winterland in her diary, recorded that 75 worshipers were present. Seventeen students attended Sunday School. There was excitement and hope for the new church as St. Paul Lutheran church in Chenoa encouraged the growth of its new sister congregation."*
That excitement and hope is still in the air many years later. Located in the central Illinois town of Lexington, St. Paul, a member of the Central Illinois District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, has grown from its humble beginnings in a gymnasium to having two services in its own building. Now located just north of Lexington Schools, St. Paul's is a growing congregation with many opportunities for worship, service and fellowship. Some of those opportunities include:
The love that God has for us is the tie that binds us together and those ties are very much in evidence at St. Paul. One of the most frequent comments by those visiting or by new members is the strong fellowship. Be it at after Worship Service over coffee and donuts, at a Lenten supper or maybe at one of the many breakfasts you can see that the congregation has grown close and is wanting to share all that they have to offer and to invite all in.
These indeed are exciting times for St. Paul Lutheran Church. As the City of Lexington is developing a new subdivision, St. Paul is in the exploratory phase of a building addition and the possibility of adding a youth and family worker. The people of St. Paul want to serve their community and surrounding area to the best of their ability and with all of the gifts and talents that God has blessed them with.
*By Don Cavallini from the 1995 Membership Directory.